By Diana Westrick, Legal Assistant, Woodruff Family Law Group
We have all heard it before: January 1st represents a blank slate; you can now accomplish everything you put off last year, and the year before, and the year before that. That small voice in your head is convincing you that this year will be different; this time, you will truly make a change.
You’re feeling committed; you listed the 34 ½ reasons why you cannot be stopped; you scoured the Internet and Pinterest Boards for inspiration, but you overlooked one significant detail: how do I afford a new lifestyle after going through a divorce?
So what now? One option is to veg out on a pint of ice cream, Netflix cue, and wallow in self-pity. Or, you can apply that drive that got you through World War “Ex” and motivated you to set resolutions in the first place. Take a cue from celebrities like Demi Moore and Nora Ephron, whom both found success in their goals post-divorce.
Read on for some helpful tips, and celebrity inspiration, that will help you achieve four of the most popular New Year resolutions without having to add panhandling to your list of hobbies.
Resolution #1: Spend More Time with my Family
After a lengthy divorce, custody case, or both, the whole family is left impacted. Spending more time with your children, siblings, and parents is often overdue, but can be rewarding and therapeutic for all involved. The following are fun resources and events available for families in the Greensboro and surrounding areas:
- WFMY News 2 Piedmont Winterfest
- Tickets range from $6-$10, depending on age. Discounts are available on certain days of the week, so be sure to plan ahead!
- Library Movie Nights
- Free movie showings? Yes, please! Both the Forsyth and Guilford County library systems offer movie nights for families, teens, and kids for no cost.
- SciWorks (Winston-Salem) & Greensboro Science Center
- If you’re looking for a fun-filled afternoon, full of interactive and educational exhibits, these two Centers will offer just that. As a bonus, membership at one, gets you into the other at 50% off, not to mention into over 300 other ASTC sites around the country.
*Celebrity Spotlight* – After her split with fellow actor, Bruce Willis, Demi Moore was left with one big regret: the toll it took on their daughters. Over the following years, Demi and Bruce have made an effort to spend time with their daughters and be supportive of all their endeavors. Most recently, the two divorcees were spotted together in support of their daughter, Rumour Willis, during a Dancing with the Stars airing.
Resolution #2: Take Better Care of Myself
Whether it be to get in shape, indulge in a new look, or practice self-reflection, self-care is critical in maintaining a positive self-image. With the help of the following resources, these goals do not have to coincide with a hefty price tag:
- Groupon: Groupon is a fantastic resource for not only discovering local businesses but also giving a discount incentive for using their services. Services such as hair styling, spa packages, and fitness classes are all available.
- Couponing Sites: Have you ever gone to a store, gone to the checkout counter, and realized you forgot your coupon at home? Now, some websites pool together available coupons and discounts to your favorite stores.
- Try-Before-You-Buy: Subscription services are becoming the next new trend when it comes to both clothing and beauty products. Depending on your needs, you can receive monthly samples of trending makeup/skin items; you can get a “personal stylist” to send individualized outfits to your doorstep; there is even a site that rents out high-end clothing items for special nights out and events.
*Celebrity Spotlight* – Most people have heard of the famous Rom-Com titles “When Harry Met Sally,” “You’ve Got Mail,” and “Sleepless in Seattle.” But, did you know that their creator, Nora Ephron, wrote them as a means of coping with her divorce? Nora took her writing to new grounds, post-divorce, and in doing so, took care of her emotional needs.
Check back tomorrow for Resolutions 3 & 4!